The historic East Side School building sits on 16 lots donated by the Northern Pacific Railroad in 1885. The school was designed by architect C.E. Bell, who also designed the state capitol building in Helena. It was completed in 1902 and updated in 1946 to include a gymnasium, a library, and extra classroom space added to the east end of the building.
East Side graduated generation after generation of Livingston residents for nearly a century. When the new East Side School was built in 1994, the City of Livingston purchased the old school from the Livingston School District. After a brief tenure as a 911 Dispatch Center and home to Montana Highway Patrol the building lay vacant for 16 years.
Early in 2009, Crazy Mountain Productions approached the city of Livingston with the idea of a multi-use community arts center in the historic building. In June of 2009 the city agreed to donate the property. A capital campaign was launched, and renovations began immediately. Crazy Mountain Productions moved from the Firehouse 5 into its new home in June of 2010.
A generous lead gift by Sal & Carol Glenn Lalani, in memory of their son Shane, gave the new arts center its name. The Dulcie Theatre officially opened its doors in October of 2010 with a gala production of Cats. Renovation work continued alongside a full production schedule for the next three years. The final renovations were completed in the fall of 2013 when the fully functional community art center opened to the public.